[thelist] Web server settings question

Garrick S. Bodine (Shan) gsb at athenswebdevelopment.com
Thu Feb 10 21:32:52 CST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 14:59 -0500, Brooking, John wrote:
>  So I'm thinking that there must be some switch that allows or
> prohibits non-executable files in executable directories being sent to
> the client.

I suppose I could have been more specific, if you're interested. The
setting in httpd.conf for Apache is a line that looks like the
following, more or less, depending on the install path:

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /var/www/cgi-bin/

where normal document root is something like: /var/www/html

By changing the first directory name after ScriptAlias, you can call
your cgi-bin whatever you want and put it wherever you want by changing
the path following it, assuming your webserver can access it. That's the
easiest, and arguably most secure way, of handling CGIs in Apache, if
you must.

Cheers,
shan