[thelist] PHP File upload suggestions

Benjamin Tilley kalos at carolina.rr.com
Fri Feb 11 12:52:42 CST 2005

Theodore Serbinski wrote:

>I also am in the same boat. Looking for a script to upload
>documents... anywhere from 30kb to 30mb in size.
>
>I am thinking I will need to do a popup window for this so the browser
>doesn't freeze/just hang as the big file is uploaded.
>
>Are there any best practices for handling big files like this? I am
>thinking as soon as user hits "upload" I flash an image that says
>"Uploading..." to show the user the browser is uploading and it's not
>just doing nothing.
>
>Any other ideas/scripts?
>
>ted

hopefully all of your users will be on high speed connections if they
are uploading 30 megs of data in one file, otherwise their browser
and/or the server may time out waiting for the upload to complete.  sftp
or scp is a much better alternative but requires that you trust the user
and that they not only have the software installed but know how to use it.

as for the "please wait" bit you could use flash or php to dynamically
update the status of their upload (usually via a percentage of completion).