[thelist] Which programs for producing web graphics?

David Siedband technique at oceanicsky.com
Tue Feb 15 21:02:05 CST 2005

I've been using StudioMX for since it came out and I just bought
PhotoshopCS last week, so I have some thoughts on this.

> Now it has come time for me to upgrade - maybe. But I would like to
> know what people are using today for creating and slicing web
> graphics. Can it all be done in Photoshop or is Photoshop too clumsy
> for vector graphics?

Photoshop's vector tools are getting better.  For path editing
operations it does great.  I mostly end up going into Freehand when I
want to do things like graphics hose, extrusion, and perspective-based
vector manips.

> I usually only use Photoshop for photo editing rather than attempting
> to use any of its vector capabilities. But I am still using Photoshop
> 6.0.1 and since then Photoshop is now at version CS. Is Photoshop
> better for web graphics now that it is at version CS?

The save for web interface in Photoshop is _very_ nice.  Photoshop
seems to have a couple more options such as a blur setting on export to
jpg.  I still often do my slicing in Fireworks, because it feels more
intuitive for some reason.

The main thing that motivated me to get Photoshop though was just way
more depth in it's image enhancing and filtering tools.

> Here are some workpaths. I currently use the first:
> Fireworks
> Illustrator to Photoshop to Imageready
> Illustrator only
>
> Which workpath do people find the most efficient today?

For me it's driven by the needs of a particular graphic.  Sometimes you
want to do something where you want more control over  vector shapes
then FW, so you might go to Illustrator or Freehand and then import to
PS or FW.  Most of the vector stuff I do for the web is within the
capabilities of FW.

--
David Siedband
generation-xml.com