SPAM-LOW: RE: [thelist] Internet Explorer 7

Justin @ pxLabs justin at pxlabs.com
Thu Feb 17 20:02:13 CST 2005

>a) Web developers aren't the primary users of IE - end users are

Interesting viewpoint, Ken.

I tend to think that Web standards is just as important, if not more so than security. Then again, I've built a (profitable) business on creating standards compliant sites that, although are built for IE (among other browsers), have to be built around IE's "stupidity", for lack of a better word.

Are we (the developers) going to sit around and wait for MS to get their act together and release a stable, secure, standards compliant product, or are we going to say "Cuff off, Microsoft!" and start using something better?

I know, this is a cavalier attitude to have, but look at it from this point of view. If MS refuses to support IE 5.2 for the Mac as far as the msn.com homepage goes, then why should I bother? Because I have an obligation to my customers and their customers to do so, putting aside all the feelings of disgust and derision I have for Microsoft.

At some point, folks, we have to draw the line and say enough is enough. Until that happens, we are going to simply be like the fellas in Apple's 1984 ad; clones and slaves of a billion-dollar organization holding the entire web development community hostage at the whim of a madman who would rather release a browser based on nothing more than security updates. A foolish move, and one which will further degrade the loyalty that their remaining customers have for them.

- Justin