[thelist] An excel question (well, Open Office actually)

john at johnallsopp.co.uk john at johnallsopp.co.uk
Mon Feb 21 06:13:22 CST 2005

A quickie, I think

In Open Office (or Excel), I've a series of numbers: 1921
1948
1996
2020
2027
2052
2077
2086
2090
2093
2118
2124
2129
2154

I want to graph them. So I want to create a set of ranges, for
instance 1900-1999, 2000-2099, etc. and then count up how many are in
each range.

I'm playing with COUNTIF(H1:H565;) but what to put into the criterion
field? Nothing seems acceptable.

I've got a field for the 1900 and one for the 1999, so ideally I want
to be able to put in <=i1 and >=j1 but it gives me 510 error which
translates like it's missing a variable, as if I should have something
before the <, but that can't be a field because we're applying it to
all the range.

Must go empty the bins, I'll be back after that and lunch :-)