[thelist] Tip: Screen capturing digital video

Francois Jordaan Francois.Jordaan at wheel.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 06:46:40 CST 2005

Typical, publish a tip and several better suggestions come along! But hey,
I'm not complaining.

Todd wrote,

> Snag-It from TechSmith is great for this.  It's not free,

-- Knew about this one, and there's the catch. Not free. Great software,
though.

Chris Heilmann wrote,

> Good players also allow you to take screenshots, like BSPlayer:
> http://www.bsplayer.org/
>
> It is free and you can press "p" at any time to store a screenshot.
> Another option is to use Virtualdub
> http://www.virtualdub.org/ to open the
> movie and save screenshots and more in that one.

-- Now this is what I spent an unsuccessful hour Googling for. (Well, try
searching for "free media/video player that allows screengrabs/screenshots"
and see how you can narrow the field.) Looked on Sourceforge too. I thought
it's impossible to get a better Windows media player than VLC,
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
and that doesn't allow screenshots, so I guess I despaired at finding
anything else.

Of course, don't know yet whether either of the above support WMV9 codecs.
That's what ruled out MovieSnapshot and Snatchit, the only contenders I was
able to find.
http://www.cd2html.de/moviesnapshot.en.html
http://www.theedgeofforever.com/

Pandy wrote,

> Turning hardware acceleration off makes Print Screen work.
> Can't say if it
> works in every situation but so far it has worked for me.

And this is the simplest of all. I just tried it, and it works. (This is an
option under Control Panel: Display: Settings: Advanced: Troubleshoot)
Surprised Googling didn't turn this up either.

Anyway, thanks!

francois