[thelist] xhtml validation problem

Timothy Kuhn (CW) tkuhn-cw at starbucks.com
Wed Feb 23 10:24:51 CST 2005

Hello Evolters,

I am trying to validate a site that I am working on. The problem I am
having is that both the W3C and WDG validators are giving me the same
error. Seems pretty easy at this point but the error that I am getting
is in the doctype declaration. I have copied and pasted the declaration
directly off the W3C site, which is what makes it all that much more
intriguing. Here is the doctype that I am using:
<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd xhtml 1.0 transitional//en"
    "http://www.w3.org/tr/xhtml1/dtd/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

And here is the error:
Invalid formal public identifier "-//w3c//dtd xhtml 1.0
transitional//en" : invalid public text class.
...type html public "-//w3c//dtd xhtml 1.0 transitional//en"  and the
quotes after the en are underlined.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Tim Kuhn