[thelist] IE ouchies - floated little logo, columns problem

Carol Whitney cwhitney at islandnet.com
Thu Feb 24 04:03:02 CST 2005

Finally I have managed to put together one of my questions, a little
bit.

I've been sweating over trying to make a two-column, fluid layout for
many, many weeks, and finally I'm getting close to it, though I still
have difficulties. I plan to look at A List Apart among other things,
since they have an article on columns not reaching the bottom if they
don't have stuff in them.

But this float problem appears a bit different; I'm not sure what's
causing it. I've put my question on my site, because I'm so bad at
asking questions (don't know enough to ask them so they make sense),
that I had to take up a lot of space to ask then and illustrate my
difficulty.

So, you can find this question's illustrations at

http://www.coherentdog.org/layout.htm

where I mention it, and then provide a link to the page that has the
problems. Hey, I don't have the problems; the page has them <hehe>

My second problem is that Opera, Firefox and Netscape all show the
two columns pretty well as I wanted them - side by side <g>.

But! IE shows one below the other.

I wonder if it has something to do with widths. I most certainly
don't know about widths. I didn't know, for instance, that if you
have a div with stuff inside it, you would use a width of 90% for
content, and that, (inside a column) takes up 90% of the column
width, not 90% of the viewport. I'd been wanting to ask about that
for a very long time, and unable to ask it - couldn't formulate the
question, but I discovered it a few hours ago - I believe I'm
understanding that correctly.

At this hour, hours past my bedtime, I'm essentially incoherent, so
I'll leave this as it is, and hope if anybody's interested and can
see what's wrong, maybe you could leave me a tip here?

Thanks in advance.

Carol W.
*** I receive plain text only. To attach a file, notify me first. ***