[thelist] Dreamweaver and hand-coding

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 09:22:52 CST 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 13:33:50 +0100, Peter-Paul Koch <pp.koch at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I'm looking for are people who pride themselves on their ability
> to hand-code a site, but nonetheless use Dreamweaver to speed up
> certain coding phases. For them I have the following questions:
>
> - Which Dreamweaver functions do you find most useful? Where can I
> find these functions? (short answers, please)
> - Which Dreamweaver functions should we avoid?
> - Do you have any tips and tricks for beginning hand-coders who want
> to use Dreamweaver?

Code Snippets - definitely a time saver and really speed things up
Templates - I don't have to worry about all the doctype stuff, I
simply tell Dreamweaver to create all templates as xhtml
Site Management - All the FTP stuff is excellent and means that I
don't have to use a second program to upload my files. In addition, if
I don't have a server setup on my computer, Dreamweaver will upload
the files after each save allowing me to see them live on a remote
server

I do tend to use the wysiwyg design part for entering long bits of
text. I don't tend to use it for layout, but if I have to enter a
particular long piece of text, I find it a lot easier to use.

Dreamweaver is also great if I have to layout a very quick and dirty
website. Its code generation isn't really that bad (at least not in
Dreamweaver MX 2004) and allows me to get something sketched out
quickly. I will usually then go in and hand edit the code to the way
that I like it. This makes the process a lot faster then trying to
hand code the entire thing.

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd