[thelist] You can play a song but you can't download it

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Thu Mar 3 16:50:15 CST 2005

> Just putting together a superfast web page for my brother's rock band.
>  Their management has requested that the songs be playable from the
> site, but not downloadable.  Is there a simple way to do this?  What
> kind of files do I need to save them as?  They're currently MP3s.

FYI --

With the right software... if I can hear it, I can save it as an
MP3/AIFF/etc.  Said software is also easy to come by.

I would concur with the poster who suggested that obscurity is a far
greater danger to a band than piracy.  I like a lot of bands of whom I
never would have heard had a friend not emailed me an MP3 with a "hey
check this out" message.  (And I almost always download the weekly
freebies from iTunes!)

Steve