[thelist] Transitioning websites from IIS5 to IIS6 (metabase)

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Mon Mar 7 06:15:41 CST 2005

There is an IIS Migration tool in the IIS6 Resource Kit.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=56fc92ee-a71a-4c73-b
628-ade629c89499&DisplayLang=en

Otherwise, I would upgrade the IIS5 box to IIS6. Then I would backup the
metabase (ensure that you supply a password otherwise sensitive data is
encrypted using the machine key, which is useless on the other box), and then
restore the backup on the other machine.

You may need to manually set the NTFS ACLs (depending on your network
configuration). I would use xcacls or similar to do that, since you can
batchfile or script that operation.

Cheers
Ken