[thelist] Pull down menus & option truncation

Jono ox4dboy at comcast.net
Wed Mar 9 10:28:16 CST 2005

I am working on a site that has pull down menus that need to contain
names of agencies that can get very long.  I think I can set a width
for dropdown choices but IE ( AFAIK ) will then truncate the choice's
length if it has to. If I don't set a width, a wide choice may break
the layout due to space constraints. I don't know if it's possible to
force-wrap pull down menu choice lengths, apparently it doesn't work in
IE5.5 or lower?

Any suggestions on how to best handle long names in a pull down menu?
I'd like this to work in as many browsers as possible, and it needs to
be as accessible/508 compliant as possible.  I cannot provide a link
yet, everything is still in Photoshop Mockup stage, and I don't want to
mockup something that is not possible in HTML.

Thanks,