[thelist] Blog software for running multiple blogs

e-head ebone+thelist at dotsandloops.net
Wed Mar 9 11:11:28 CST 2005

On 03/09/05 16:10 or thereabouts, Richard Livsey scribbled:
> Does anyone know of blog software capable of running multiple blogs?
>
> I'm after setting up a network of blogs, kind of like msdn blogs,
> whereby we can easily create new blogs on the fly.
> Ideally then we have one main summary page showing the last x posts and
> comments from all blogs, statistics on them all and individually etc..
> Authors should be restricted to their own blog but have some kind of
> permissions system whereby we could setup users who can post on multiple
> ones.

For aggregating, you might think about using something like an RSS
aggregator, Carp, or magpie, e.g. (see http://dotsandloops.net/bored/ as
an example of how I pull all my news feeds). This may be easier than
trying to pull stuff from multiple database tables.

> Anyone know of anything along these lines before we go ahead and build
> it from scratch?
>
> We've mainly used Wordpress in the past, but this looks to be beyond its
> capabilities and so far I haven't found anything which has the required
> features (or enough to start with and add in the rest).

there is actually a multiblog version of wordpress:
http://lingo.com.mx/~ruben/index.php?p=46

not sure if it would fit the bill.

you could use it as a start and just write "glue" to hold it all
together. maybe some pages to register new blogs (and build the db
tables) for example ...

I actually "seperated" out all tech posts for a while on my blog.
It looked like I had 2 blogs, but they were just 1.

In other words, with some real fancy template editing you may be able to
give the illusion of having multiple blogs, but actually they are all
just one. With the sub-category feature of wp this is easier than it
would have been ... but it would still take some work, and may be
totally hopeless (i thought it was a bitch just spoofing 2 blogs).

--
Within a month [in 1969] I had met the first of a small but not uninfluential
community of people who violently opposed SALT for a simple reason: It might