[thelist] Multiple column text?

Brooking, John John.Brooking at sappi.com
Wed Mar 9 16:15:29 CST 2005

Hi, everyone,

   Here at my day job, I support the company intranet using a brand-name
CMS. The communications department has just had a design company
redesign the home page, which I am now implanting for them in the CMS.
In one section of their spec, they have some text broken down into two
side-by-side columns, as one would find in a newspaper.

   I'm pretty sure this is not standard web design, but if that's what
they want, what are my options? Google revealed a MULTICOL tag which
purports to do this, but all indications are that it's a Netscape only
tag, and is not listed in the 4.01 spec on W3C. This is confirmed by the
fact that none of the pages which purport to demo it do any such thing
in my IE 6 browser (the company standard). So that's definitely out.

   My only other idea, and the only other one mentioned in the pages I
found, is to just manually split the text into two side-by-side text
areas. This means the user who will ultimately maintain the page (not
me) will update it by editing two separate text elements and putting
half of the text into each. Yucky, but I don't have any better ideas.

   Do you?

- John
--

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.