[thelist] Are you designing with CSS and web standards?

Rich Points rich at richpoints.com
Thu Mar 10 21:57:55 CST 2005

Hi,
I'm curious how many designers out there are using valid html or xhtml
and pure CSS layouts these days.  I've been designing with CSS for about
two and a half years now, I was really motivated to do so after reading/
Designing with Web Standards/ by Jeffery Zeldman.  Zeldman begins the
book by stating that 99.9% of websites are obsolete, meaning they don't
comply with web standards.

I bring this up because I'm working with a client who is concerned that
if I stop working for them that they would have trouble finding a
designer who understands pure CSS layouts.   So my question is are you
using CSS to design?  If so to what extent are you using it, pure CSS
table-less layouts or just simple styling of <p> and <a> tags?   If you
know nothing about web standards and CSS design are you planning on
learning it in the next few years.

This question is for designers as well as coders.

Thanks
Rich
http://richpoints.com