[thelist] Are you designing with CSS and web standards?

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 22:21:14 CST 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:57:55 -0700, Rich Points <rich at richpoints.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm curious how many designers out there are using valid html or xhtml
> and pure CSS layouts these days.  I've been designing with CSS for about
> two and a half years now, I was really motivated to do so after reading/
> Designing with Web Standards/ by Jeffery Zeldman.  Zeldman begins the
> book by stating that 99.9% of websites are obsolete, meaning they don't
> comply with web standards.
>
> I bring this up because I'm working with a client who is concerned that
> if I stop working for them that they would have trouble finding a
> designer who understands pure CSS layouts.   So my question is are you
> using CSS to design?  If so to what extent are you using it, pure CSS
> table-less layouts or just simple styling of <p> and <a> tags?   If you
> know nothing about web standards and CSS design are you planning on
> learning it in the next few years.

I am personally using CSS and standards in all of my designs. As for
your client, I would think that this would be a test for whoever they
were to hire after you left. A good designer should be using CSS and
en excellent designer would be one who is using pure CSS. At least I
would suggest that a designer's knowledge and experience with CSS is
directly related to their skill level and level of hireability. Now
this is not to say that there are not terrible designers out there
with a fairly high degree of knowledge of CSS. I just don't think
anyone should be considered an excellent designer if they have no
knowledge of CSS.

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd