[thelist] Are you designing with CSS and web standards?

Chris Heilmann lists at onlinetools.org
Fri Mar 11 04:51:08 CST 2005

> I made a conscious decision to ditch tables based design so that I would
> be
> forced to develop my skills in css. Resorting to tables when I got stuck
> kept me dependent on them and stunted my development.
>
> But dividing designers into tables/css camps is unhelpful.
>
> There is no excuse for designing without css and if you are professional
> you
> understand web standards. Whether or not you adopt them is something else.

Full ACK, can we stop this "yeah, me too!" thread?

Anyone not embracing the benefits of web standards and clean separation in
2005 is just making it hard for himself and his clients.

A better question would be
- How do you ensure valid HTML with CMS driven sites
- Why are the .NET out of the box controls such invalid crud?
- What situations might call for tagsoup (Users on Netscape 4.x, Strict
layouts with unknown dimensions (any column longest))

I wrote an article about standards and following them down a cliff earlier:
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/standards-sensible-design

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com