[thelist] Percentage of users still on Dialup? (offlist)

Brian Cummiskey Brian at hondaswap.com
Fri Mar 11 09:24:30 CST 2005

> I live approximately 60 miles west of NYC and approximately 60 miles NNE
>
> of Philly.  Though I get broadband the options are awful.

On the other hand, I live about 100 miles NE of NYC and 100 miles SW of
Boston in central Connecticut.  There's vast options for cable
broadband, and dsl options.  Heck, if you want to pay for it, you can
get a t1 for about $999 a month to your house.  In addition, half the
town i live in has random hotspots from coffee shops, librarys, offices,
and so on putting out a wireless signal.  There are talks of putting up
antenna's and making wireless broadband free and cover just about
everwhere-  just like radio.  My city has 65,000 people in it.  Hardly a
huge metropolis.    So, its all about where you are, and what the
town/county/state is after as a whole.

That said, there are plenty of people still on dial-up.  In fact, half
of my friends don't even own a computer and don't really want to get one
either.  They don't see the need.  Me, I think i'd die if i couldn't get
on line. lol

I guess my point here, is that culture, lifestyle, and job will effect
the spread of broadband connections.  If I never used the net, but
wanted to have it for getting directions, or looking something up once
in a while, i wouldn't pay 40-80/month for broadband--  but i'd pay 9.99
for dialup.