[thelist] RE: troubling Mail delivery failed message

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Mar 15 18:33:01 CST 2005

Hi there,

I think you'll find that the original message had a "spoofed" From: address
(which happened to be yours). An antivirus filter at the recipient's end
bounced the message back to the purported serve (you).

Most viruses that spread themselves via SMTP/email work like this, and have
done so for years. Person A gets infected. The virus scans their harddisk
looking for email addresses. It constructs a message from Person B to Person
C and sends it off. Person C thinks the message came from Person B.

It makes tracking down the actual infected party (Person A) relatively
difficult.

But this is a bit off-topic, so I won't go into any more detail. Suffice to
say, you probably have nothing to worry about.

Cheers,
Ken