[thelist] Simple page editor

Brooking, John John.Brooking at sappi.com
Thu Mar 17 10:24:40 CST 2005

>> "I am looking for a simple script (PHP preferred) that will
>> change a single page on a site."
>
> A friend made a script like this for me-- it very simply inserts
> the contents of a .txt file (script currently set for it to be
> named "includeme.txt") within the page where you specify.  The
> ... <snip> ...
> computer literate, and have to be taught how to ftp-- I usually
> set the ftp up for them if they're local to me and set it to
> point directly into that directory.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. The only thing I can add is
if this is on a Windows system, you can take advantage of the built-in
command line FTP client to automate the uploading step with a script.
That way, you can get the user interface down to double-clicking the
text file to edit it, then double-clicking a command icon to upload it.

Here's an example FTP script:

   open ftp.mysite.com
   user username password
   lcd C:\local\path\to\the\file
   cd /remote/path
   asc
   put includeme.txt
   bye

Invoke this in a command file using this (if the above script is named
"scriptname.ftp"):
   ftp -n "-s:C:\The\path\to\the\script\scripname.ftp"
   pause

Of course you can get fancy with logging, archiving, and/or echoing
output to the user, if you want.

I'm sure this can be done on a Mac, too, but I have no experience with
that.

Hope this helps.

- John
--

This message may contain information which is private, privileged or confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in the message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender thereof and destroy / delete the message. Neither the sender nor Sappi Limited (including its subsidiaries and associated companies) shall incur any liability resulting directly or indirectly from accessing any of the attached files which may contain a virus or the like.