[thelist] How do you ping in asp?

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 15:27:46 CST 2005

Christian,

Web is a disconnected medium. Once the request is sent to client there
is no means of pinging the server back. As a solution: You can use
client site code and an iframe that meta-refreshes itself and then
re-load the owner page. If you do not like the meta approach, you can
use setInterval js method in your main page to load iframe after a
certain timeout.

AFAIK, There are constructs in java which try to keep connection open
(pushlets is one of them), but I am dubious about their
efficiency/effectiveness. I am not sure, whether the pushlet logic can
be constructed in ASP Classic or ASP.Net either.

None the less, imho, you had better re-consider your design specs.What
you try to do is to change the nature of the web (web is a
disconnected medium as I said a priori)

If it is ultimately necessary for you to ping the server, i think the
IFRAME approach will best suit your needs.

HTH, Cheers,
Volkan.