[thelist] determine if a server is running unix

Christian Heilmann lists at onlinetools.org
Fri Mar 18 20:38:39 CST 2005

Roger H. wrote:

>Evolters,
>
>Is there a way to remotely tell if an intranet's server is running some form
>of UNIX or not? I get a chance to work on an online database application, IF
>they have MySQL/PHP running, or at least the potential.
>
>I had someone upload a info.php file with the <?php phpinfo() ?> in it, but
>it only printed that to the web page. Does that automatically mean the
>server does NOT have PHP installed, or isn't even a unix server?? a windows
>server could no way run that file, right?
>
>Sorry for such a dumb question, I just can't seem to figure this out.

That is not true. I run PHP and Apache/MySql on my Windows machine and
it  works fine. What your test determined is that it does not have PHP
enabled (that is when you have saved the file with a .php extension).

You can use http://news.netcraft.com/ to test what a domain has running,
for example:
http://searchdns.netcraft.com/?host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.php.net&position=limited&lookup=Wait..