[thelist] determine if a server is running unix

Mark Groen markgroen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 20:16:10 CST 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:30:52 -0800, Roger H. <> wrote:

> Is there a way to remotely tell if an intranet's server is running some form
> of UNIX or not? I get a chance to work on an online database application, IF
> they have MySQL/PHP running, or at least the potential.

Go here for "What's that site running?..." top left corner:
http://news.netcraft.com/

> I had someone upload a info.php file with the <?php phpinfo() ?> in it, but
> it only printed that to the web page. Does that automatically mean the
> server does NOT have PHP installed, or isn't even a unix server?? a windows
> server could no way run that file, right?

That just means that php hasn't been activated. Windows runs php the
same way as Unix, the server enviroment variables returned will be
different though of course. If it's an recent Apache server, it should
be there by default and they have turned it off, not sure about php
being a default on IIS though, but it's something that should be
easily bolted on iirc.

cheers,

             Mark

             MG Web Services
             www.mgwebservices.ca

Your Canadian West Coast web site development and hosting solution.