[thelist] Useability/design Opinion's sought

e-head ebone+thelist at dotsandloops.net
Mon Mar 21 10:28:10 CST 2005

This is a non-technical question, more about "ergonomics","useability",
and "design" if you will (and more than a touch neurotic probably).

Consider hyperlinks that are "embedded" in text or paragraphs, and not
as part of a menu system, or set apart in any other way.

How important do you think it is that such links "jump out" at the
viewer ? Very important, or just moderately important ? Obviously, they
need to be noticeable for anyone actually READING the paragraph straight
through ... but should they be easy to pick out at a glance ?

Ive noticed links sort of act like paragraph breaks, or the old "***" in the print
design of yore. My eye has a tendency to "skip" right to
them, and sometimes I'll just skip to the sentence or two right before
them. This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If they are more subtle I tend to read straight through ... it's as if
I subliminally pick up the message that "these links are that
special".

Also, do you think it is of utmost importance that visited links always
be very noticable ? I've seen some sites that don't set them apart at
all ... I think the designer couldn't find a color gradation he liked or
something.

I'm curious what you guys have to say.
--
	Obviously the subject of death was in the air, but more as something
to be avoided than harped upon.