[thelist] Windows Component Services Limit?

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Wed Mar 23 13:30:50 CST 2005

We have a site whose backend is entirely MS VB 6 code. There is an EXE which
calls a DLL. That DLL is in Component Services on the server, which runs MS
Server 2000. We have discovered that if there are more than 9 concurrent
instances of the DLL, then all those instances beyond 9 will error instead
of ending normally.

We have confirmed this via a desktop application which calls a DLL. 9
desktop apps can call the DLL concurrently and they all return normally. If
10 apps call it, then the 10th will error. This I tested on Windows
Professional 2000.

The DLL is a single-threaded apartment.

Any ideas?

Is this a fixed limit or is this there someway around this? The DLL for the
desktop test has been configured to NOT connect to any database.

Thanks.