[thelist] Useability/design Opinion's sought

Stephen Rider evolt_org at striderweb.com
Wed Mar 23 16:13:26 CST 2005

On Mar 23, 2005, at 11:40 AM, Chris Heilmann wrote:
>> There are advantages to this (printing is a good example), but
>> disadvantages as well.  This partially breaks the "back" button, is
>> potentially confusing, and will mess with ratings in Google and such
>> if
>> the link text is nothing but the address itself.
>
> I do understand the google rankings (albeit that is not really a
> problem
> unless you want to boost their scores) but how that breaks the back
> button
> functionality is beyond me. Can you please explain?

Sorry... I stumbled a bit there.  It doesn't directly break the Back
button, but confuses a lot of people who expect clicking a link to
simply take them to a different page.  I should have limited the
statement to the "potentially confusing" that follows, and the search
engine part.  I know several people who get totally confused when
clicking a link takes them to a different area of the same page.  It's
simply not what they expect.

Steve