[thelist] Removing link colors

Christian Heilmann lists at onlinetools.org
Sun Mar 27 04:20:27 CST 2005

Burhan Khalid wrote:

> Steve Clason wrote:
>
>> On 3/26/2005 8:28 PM Chris Kavanagh wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks to Steve and Mark, who are both up very late: it helps my
>>> morale.  I should have been clearer: I want to set the links to have
>>> no colour at all: I can't predict what colour the text will be (it's
>>> coming from a database), so I can't set it to black.  Is that possible?
>>

>> Still pretty early in Colorado, but I WILL be up late. Try this:

>> The cursor won't change to a pointy finger so there won't be any
>> indication when the user is hovering over the "link", but still...
>

> You can get the pointy finger thing using CSS though:

> style="cursor:hand">ipsum</span>
>
> However, I don't think this is 100% cross browser.

cursor:pointer is though. In any case, this is a wonderful example where
we make something not behave as intended and then go through  another
loop to make it behave accordingly again. If the backend sets the colour
of the text, what keeps us from writing out the embedded CSS in the
head to colour  the links accordingly?
Or even better keep it all in a css and use the backend script to
generate it accordingly [1].
I would be  very interested to hear why making links blend into a text
is good design and a good idea.
The argument that it is an intranet application and the  users will be
trained is a feeble one at best. It is like saying "We publish this
induction leaflet to each new joiner of the company. It is in cantonese,
but Lee is very happy to help them to understand it".

[1] http://www.icant.co.uk/articles/cssconstants/