[thelist] HTML email statistics

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Sun Mar 27 07:03:02 CST 2005

Christian Heilmann wrote:

> Well, I am totally on your side, we all are, but marketing people only
> believe in figures. So unless you do know about a statistic or a
> research document to back your likes up, you evangelise without much
> output.

A recent research study conducted by the market intelligence team at
Harte-Hanks examined 700 permission-based email campaigns involving 4.25
million email addresses to uncover the strategic and creative practices
of successful email marketing. The study primarily focused on b-to-b
campaigns in telecom and technology markets that were designed in
accordance with DMA ethical guidelines.

Here are actual click-through response rate ranges, broken out by type
of campaign:

Purpose of Email Campaign	Response
	                         Average	High	Low
General Marketing	         1.3 %	        25.0 %	0.2 %
Market Research	                 4.1 %	        21.0 %	0.5 %
Sales Promotion	                 1.7 %	        10.3 %	0.1 %
Offline Seminar Invitation	 1.0 %	        9.2 %	0.1 %
Subscription Offer	         1.4 %	        3.8 %	0.1 %
Online Seminar Invitation	 1.0 %	        3.6 %	0.0 %

Although an email campaign does fail, but the potential numbers are
still too good to ignore. For the same budget, an email campaign can
touch twice as many prospects as a traditional direct mail campaign, if
not more.

 From http://www.destinationcrm.com/articles/default.asp?ArticleID=2714

I guess I'll be sharpening up my spam filters. :(