[thelist] mail function not working in PHP

Sales sales at lycosa.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 05:13:59 CDT 2005

The php script that sends the emails is:

<?
$p = mail ("sales at lycosa.co.uk", "test email from onlinekitchenware",
"test message");
$q = mail ("phil.parker at btinternet.com", "test email from
onlinekitchenware", "test message");
if ($p) echo "sales ok<br>";
else echo "sales not ok<br>";
if ($q) echo "bt ok<br>";
else echo "bt not ok<br>";
?>

I tried a local mailing, which worked fine. So, php IS sending the
emails.
So I checked the email log and it showed some errors:

    4 phil.parker at btinternet.com R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp:
                   SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:
                   SIZE=1879: host mx1.bt.mail.yahoo.com
[195.50.106.135]:
                   501 Syntax error in parameters or arguments

    4 sales at lycosa.co.uk R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp: SMTP
                   error from remote mailer after RCPT TO::
                   host lycosa.co.uk [216.180.242.218]: 550-Verification
                   failed for \n550-unrouteable mail domain
                   "ls280"\n550 Sender verify failed

Burhan mentioned it could be to do with the DNS settings. The server has
no domain name attached to it, and is running locally as ls280. I do get
the following error when I log in to WHM. I have tried deleting the
entry and zone and recreating them, but it still brings up the same
message.

Hostname A Entry Missing!

The server was unable to lookup an an A entry for its hostname (ls280).
This is generally because the entry was never added. However this could
also be the result of your nameserver(s) being down. If you would like
to attempt to automaticlly add the entry,