[thelist] ID vs name

BJ bj at kickasswebdesign.com
Thu Apr 14 17:31:17 CDT 2005

In the xhtml specification "ID" is used where "name" used to be.  Okay.
But what happens if you're integrating someone else's form code snippets
into a site, and they use "name" to specify the attribute?  An example
is the paypal "shopping cart" or "buy it now" code.  If I use "name" my
pages won't validate.  But if I change "name" to "ID" what happens on
the other end?  Can I assume they're going to process either attribute
the same way? or not?  There are other examples of this, like the cartit
shopping cart script, but at least with that one I can look in the code
and maybe understand what it's doing there, since that's something I
install on the server I'm using.

Of course, I have a feeling I know what the answer is, and I hate to
think I'm going to have to go back to writing to html 4.0 spec on pages
where this happens . . .

bj