[thelist] Macromedia and Adobe, sitting in a tree.. Adobe Flash? Macromedia Acrobat? [WAS: Safari 1.3]

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 10:19:22 CDT 2005

> One thing to keep in mind is that this merger is subject to regulatory
> approval. I am concerned about Adobe swallowing Macromedia and the fate
> of programs like Fireworks, as well as support for Cold Fusion. I
> wouldn't be surprised if someone set up a protest website that would
> allow concerned netizens to sign a petition/send emails either urging
> regulators not to allow the merger, or at least making sure that Adobe
> guarantees not only support but upgrade paths for all of the key
> Macromedia products.
>
> Err...anyone want to create that website? I'd sign the petition in a
> heartbeat.

Online petitions are a dime a dozen now, who would care about them?
What you could argue is a Microsoft-esque monopoly status later on,
but rest assured that Adobe will not stop a merger that cost them a
lot of money (the legal team work for a merger is a lot indeed) just
because some web geeks protest.
What shall we do? Use the GIMP instead? Ask Corel to come up with a new product?

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com