[thelist] Monitoring uptime

Jan Brasna discuss at alphanumeric.cz
Tue Apr 19 07:15:31 CDT 2005

Hi John,

> what's the best way of monitoring a website's uptime

To set up a simple script that would try to connect to the target
machine, run by cron, placed on some reliable machine (if you want it
for free) or use any of the monitoring services.

> do we know whether downtime at any particular
> level is likely to skupper search engine position?

It is so. Last year we had a huge outage in one collocation center due
to some raid failure and the sites started to vanish from search engines.

--
Jan Brasna aka JohnyB :: www.alphanumeric.cz | www.janbrasna.com