[thelist] Looking for secure, corporate IM client/server

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Apr 19 18:08:38 CDT 2005

I think you have a few options. All the major vendors have some kind of
corporate IM product (Lotus has "Sametime", Microsoft has "Live Communication
Server"), and as others have mentioned there is Jabber.

You need to look at the feature set you want:
a) Do you want to encrypt and/or sign communications?
b) Do you want to have a central archiving function for storing
communications for later retrieval?
c) Do you want the ability to centrally lockdown the environment so that
people can't alter the settings of the client and connect to external
sources.

Cheers
Ken

--
www.adOpenStatic.com/cs/blogs/ken/

: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Chris Johnston
: Subject: [thelist] Looking for secure, corporate IM client/server
:
: Hello,
:
: For development teams, what do people use for IM type communication?
: Is it just MSN or AIM or are there specific corporate IM
: server/clients out there that people use?
:
: I need to suggest some developer tools for my team and one tool that I
: would like to suggest is an IM client. However, they like to block any
: outside IM protocols -- MSN, AIM, ICQ, etc -- so I am wondering if
: there are any tools (OSS or otherwise) that can be installed on a
: company intranet and used internally.