[thelist] CSS and DreamWeaver/Contribute

Chris Kavanagh chris at logorocks.com
Wed Apr 20 12:46:09 CDT 2005

Dear list,

I'm designing a website in which paragraphs can have a background
colour.  Some Kens have kindly helped me do that in CSS, rather than by
using a table.  I've used this CSS:

.emphasis {
	display: block ;
	background-color: #FFE092;
	color: #666666;
	padding-top: 1em;
	padding-bottom: 1em;
}

However, there's a problem.  The client will need to update the content
himself, and he will need to use a WYSIWYG editor such as Contribute or
(possibly) Dreamweaver.  When one selects -several- adjacent paragraphs
and assigns them the "emphasis" style, the editor assigns -each-
paragraph the style, instead of the -group- of paragraphs.

The end result is that each paragraph has the background colour, but
they're separate from each other.  What I'd like is for all the
paragraphs to share the background colour, with no breaks between them.
  I know how to hand code this, but I can't expect the client to do that
- he needs to use a WYSIWYG editor.  Is there some kind of CSS trick I
can use to make this happen?  Otherwise I guess I'll have to use a
table.

Kind regards,
CK.