[thelist] How to do login using JSP

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 09:17:39 CDT 2005

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has any links to turorials or discussion
about how to handle login, authoraization and authentication for JSP.
I am not asking for general discussions on things like role based
authentication or how to set this up in a database. I already know
that. What I am looking for are discussions on using JAAS and how to
set that up with a database, do you have to do page level
authentication (i.e., checking for session objects) or is there a way
to do this using filters, is it best to use a servlet for login or
will a JSP page suffice.

I know how to do all the different things involved in authentication,
I guess what I am looking for  is what is the accepted technique for
handling this in Java inside an app server, both tomcat and something
like WebLogic.

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd