[thelist] dynamic table sql question

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Apr 26 01:57:37 CDT 2005

: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Brian Cummiskey
: Subject: Re: [thelist] dynamic table sql question
:
: Peter Brunone (EasyListBox.com) wrote:
: >    Well, my first reaction would be "why the heck did they design the
: database this way", but since I doubt you have any control over that,
: let's press on.
:
: It actually makes perfect sense.  Each Job is from a different client,
: upon which we are calling on THEIR lists for them.

Actually, from where I'm sitting and reading this thread, it doesn't make
sense at all.

My suspicion is reinforced by the fact that you're having a little difficulty
coming up with an SQL query that produces the results you want. Generally, a
properly normalised database design gives you queries that are easy to write.

Since you are using MS SQL Server 7, can you give us a bunch of CREATE TABLE
scripts? (or alternatively describe your design in ER terms, since your
current description below doesn't really make much sense).

Cheers
Ken

--
www.adOpenStatic.com/cs/blogs/ken/

: Perhaps I need some sample data to get this together a little better.  I
: don't think anyone is really grasping what i'm dealing with.
:
:
: So, We have for example 2 clients.
: companyA and companyB each with 2 current jobs.
:
: each table has a unique ID to THAT table, as well as a jobid field,
: which is the same as the table name (for all purposes here.. its a
: little different, but thats not an issue i can't handel)
:
: There is also a Master table, called Jobs
: which has the Jobid (which is called companyA_1) and holds other
: useless-to-this-post stuff like description, running dates, etc..
:
: basically, i need to select all job ids from jobs.
:
: this will give me
:
: companyA_1
: companyA_2
: companyB_1
: companyA_2
:
:
: and from those tables, i need to generate the:
:
: select rowID, jobname from <<each of the above table names>>
: where phonenumber in ( <<the number list>> )
:
: this will hopefully give me
:
: row	jobname
: 12345	companyA_1
: 22345	companyA_2
: 32345	companyb_1
: 42345	companyB_2
:
: if there were 4 rows among those tables with the phone numbers i plug in.
:
:
: Is this making more sense now?
:
: which is why i want to dynmically geenerate my table name that i select
: from.
:
: I thought about doing it in a scripting language... something like