[thelist] How to turn off mysqld 3.23's automatic DATE updatefeature?

Jonathan Dillon jdillon at boehm-ritter.com
Thu Apr 28 14:09:45 CDT 2005

>> On 4/28/05, Jonathan Dillon <jdillon at boehm-ritter.com> wrote:
>> Yes, I know it's an old version (long story), but does anyone know how
>> to turn off the automatic date updating in mysqld 3.23?
>>
>> I can't find any information about it.  But it's got to stop! ;-)
>>

> Automatic date update? Are you talking about TimeStamps? The default
behaviour for timestamps is to be updated > everytime that the record is
modified. I am not sure what you the problem is, can you be more specific?

Sure!

Yes, I'm talking about TimeStamps (sorry, pre-coffee).

The default behavior pre-mysql 4.1 (after which it seems we get a lot more
control over how it does this) is to update the first timestamp column in a
table if it's not explicitly updated with a value or the value is NULL.

This behavior is totally screwing up a ported db I'm working on, and I want
to disable it.  The documentation on Timestamps (the pre-4.1 bits) on the
mysql.com site says NOTHING about how to do this, and a hour of culling
googl results has yielded a fat 0 on dozens of seach terms.

I want to turn off autoupdate timestamps on 3.23, and I wonder if anyone out
there has a clue?  I'm really at a loss, but it's got to happen.

Thanks much for the reply Chris.

Jonathan