[thelist] personal PHP preference inquiry

Jonathan Dillon jdillon at boehm-ritter.com
Fri Apr 29 12:20:44 CDT 2005

> where did you learn your oop in php, i would like to make the jump, but
have had a hard time approaching the oop style.

I really had a hard time myself.

The phppatterns site is fantastic.  But honestly, it's a struggle.

I learned a lot on the job, but mostly, I've learned it from building
applications.  You have to beat OO programming into your skull, IMHO.  I'm
still not that good, but once you get started you just learn so much so fast
it's worth it.

The only book I've read that really helped me (I'm not the kind of guy who
can pour over Design Patterns for 12 hours) is Professional PHP5 by Wrox.
And the PHP Functions book from New Riders (for reference).

Hope it helps.

Jonathan