[thelist] OT -deleting dupLicates in excel document

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Thu May 5 12:57:30 CDT 2005

Roger Ly suggested a fine solution:

Hi Roger!

I use a minor variant on this technique.

>>Sort the data by column A, so all your email addresses are sorted.

Yup - need the sort.  (If you need to look for dups across _several_
columns,
you can concatenate them into a new column and sort on that ... This
trick
still works fine.)

>>In column B1, enter in the value FALSE.

This step is not necessary ... from my PoV anyway.

>>In column B2, enter the formula (without quotes)
>>	"=A1=A2"

Okay ... Here's where I use a bit of a variant ... How about using the
following
formula in B2 instead?

=if(a2=a1,"Holy Crap, Batman! It's another stinking DUPLICATE!", "")

The rest of your steps are fine; copy the equation down, after it
evaluates do
a copy/paste-special-values, then sort on this 'former'-formula column
and delete
the duplicate records.

Using the conditional equation allows you to put in whatever 'trigger
phrase'
you want to see when a duplicate occurs.  (And, if you really want, you
can
add a phrase in for non-duplicate between the quotes in that "") I show
at the
end of the equation. I generally don't bother with that. [However, I
generally
use something more, uh, 'colorful', than your buddy's "true/false".]

HTH,

RonL.