[thelist] Page load progress indicator

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Thu May 5 13:13:35 CDT 2005

Joe,

On 5/5/05, Joe Ngo <chilijoe at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So instead of a "progress indicator" one should use "loading indicator"
> > - something like a clock with hands moving etc. This makes sense, as the
> > actual progress of the download is very difficult to measure.
> >
> Functionality-wise, ie. provide feedback on the progress, it is not
> doing what it's supposed to do. It's just telling the user that
> javascript is still running, not whether the page is really
> progressing with the download. You may as well place an animated gif
> in there, and it wouldn't make any difference.

What it is supposed to do is communicate to the user that things are
still processing. It does exactly what it is supposed to do in this
instance. You're right, an animated gif would serve a similar purpose,
and could be used as a NOSCRIPT alternative.

There are two reasons to use a progress bar, with completely different
aims, as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

--
Matt Warden
Miami University