[thelist] Tip: Fixing IE include external javascript file 'bug'

VOLKAN ÖZÇELİK volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Tue May 10 06:53:47 CDT 2005

Strange,

I use type="text/javascript" all around and it does not cause any
problems in ie5.5+
Actually I think IE completely ignores type attribute for script since
the default scripting language for IE is JScript (or javascript
whatever).

imho from the point of view of ie's engine

1. <script type="text/javascript" src="x"></script> (ignore type
attribute so it's the same as #3)

2. <script language="javascript" src="x"></script> (the default one)

and

3. <script src="x"></script> (no language attribute so defaults to #2)

are all the same, they fall back to (2) eventually.

just a few question to clarify things:
Are you sure that you've closed your script tag properly?
What is your ie version and OS?
Is there a url that we can check the problem?

Anyways, ie is a peculiar guy, he can do almost anything :)

Cheers,
Volkan.