[thelist] SEO

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Thu May 12 12:08:01 CDT 2005

Ed McCarroll wrote:
>>What does google use instead of cross linking?
>

> My understanding is that links still count, but are less important than
> they used to be.

I believe it's reciprocal links that are at issue... in late '03 Google
made a significant change to de-emphasize simple reciprocal links.  The
so called "Florida Google Dance"[0].

> One of their top priorities is to make their system
> nearly impossible to manipulate, and to penalize those who try.  This
> means that most of the tricks the so-called "SEO experts" use will hurt
> you in the long run.

Indeed.  The changes they made were good, because Google recognized that
people were manipulating results by use of link exchanges and similar
tactics of erecting a hundred brochure sites for the bare sake of having
reciprocal links. (Amazingly those reciprocal link farms are still doing
business!).  Unfortunately some sites whose Google-sourced traffic
depended solely on legitimate reciprocal links got hurt as a result of
the changes, especially in industries frequently inhabited by spammer
types[1].

[0] http://searchenginewatch.com/searchday/article.php/3285661
[1] http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=283860

--