[thelist] SKU Numbers?

Mark Groen markgroen at gmail.com
Wed May 18 05:36:40 CDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Luther, Ron" <>
To: <>; <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 4:34 PM
Subject: RE: [thelist] SKU Numbers?

Steve Clason noted:

>>In my experience it's best not to put too much intelligence into
>>numbering things. Just give them a number and let the inventory
control
>>system figure everything out.

Inserting 'intelligence' into part numbering _was_ considered a good
idea
a long time ago.  Today, however, I believe it is considered bad
practice
and should be avoided.

I believe current 'best practice' is to keep a separate part master
table.
That table, (or tables) can contain parameter fields for all of the
values
and 'intelligence' you want to associate with a given sku.

huh?

Aren't you two contradicting yourself? Isn't designing the master table what
the original post was about? Aren't the best SKU's the ones that describe
the product within the numbers themselves?

Some samples where the SKU is tied to what the actual product is, you may
want to consider belonging to the first link, where definitely the
number/string is "intelligent":

http://www.uc-council.org/

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wc56help/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.commerce.user.doc/tasks/tpngen1s.htm

http://www.efulfillmentservice.com/