[thelist] speech plugin..

Jono ox4dboy at comcast.net
Wed May 18 15:33:16 CDT 2005

On May 17, 2005, at 3:01 AM, Jeroen Wijers wrote:

>> Maybe Flash would be your best bet?
>>
>> Not sure if there's anything that would actually read the text and
>> links to viewers, as this is usually the functiuon of screen reader
>> software which blind people use to surf the web.
>>
>> I've been to a few sites with Flash voiceovers which offer you the
>> ability to listen to the presentation rather than read it......

If you are using a Mac, and you have installed Tiger (OS 10.4) then you
can use Apple's  built in screen reader - called VoiceOver, quick, and
easy.  I have not tried it yet myself, but I do know that is is not as
full featured as JAWS.

"Mac OS X Tiger introduces VoiceOver, an accessibility interface that
offers you magnification options, keyboard control and spoken English
descriptions of what’s happening on screen. If you have a visual
impairment, VoiceOver enables you to work collaboratively with other
Mac users or work on their computers without assistance."

Read More:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/voiceover/