[thelist] Illegal domain name on an intranet?

Stuart Young syoung at unitec.ac.nz
Thu May 19 00:03:56 CDT 2005

> For example, x.net?
> it would be cool if we could get around the three-letter-prefix
barrier.

Not going to answer your question, but I would point out that some
ccTLDs allow you to have single or double digit domains, so if your
marketing dept feels that short URLs are most important you could
register one of those.

for example:
http://www.k.co.nz/
(I do not recommend this site at all - it just happens to be a 1 digit
domain.)

of course any ease of use benefits you gain by having a short URL, you
lose by having a different TLD. Personally I feel memorability and ease
of spelling a domain are much more important than it's size, e.g.
www.godaddy.com
vs
www.jhsf.com

cheers

--
Dr Stuart Young,       	+64 (0)9-815 4321 x 8656
<syoung at unitec.ac.nz> 	+64 021 183 2846 (mob)