[thelist] Looking for simple way to get JS statistics from my visitors.

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Thu May 19 17:31:53 CDT 2005

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to find out what percentage of my users browse with JS
> enabled or disabled.
>
> Here is an idea I had.
>
> I would put a script (what kind and how it would work I don't know) on
> a page that people browse to a lot (maybe the homepage duh! :) ) that
> would do a GET request to another page that would increment a counter.

What you normally do is using 1x1 pixel images, one you write out with
JavaScript, the other one you put in a noscript tag. Then you just
check your server logs and compare the hits on the document containing
both of them with the hits the images got.

However, this information is quite meaningless as you can never rely
on JavaScript being available. It is most likely the more clever way
to use JS only to enhance functionality that is available without it.

Explained here: http://www.onlinetools.org/articles/unobtrusivejavascript/

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com