[thelist] Transcripts from Jaws

Ian Anderson ian at zstudio.co.uk
Fri May 20 06:05:10 CDT 2005

Alex wrote:

> I don't have a copy of Jaws myself but I'm trying to help out a user
> who is having problems with a specific page on my site.  Does anyone
> know if/how it's possible to produce transcripts or save output to an
> audio file from Jaws?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex

I'm not aware of any feature of JAWS that will allow what you ask, but
he could simply tape the speech output onto an audio cassette... Or if
he has broadband or a mobile, so that he can talk and access the
Internet at the same time, he could do it while you are on the phone and
you could have a listen?

Have you considered downloading the free trial version and checking it
out yourself?  It is a bit tricky to learn, and it is notoriously
difficult to meaningfully approximate a blind user's experience, but you
don't need to know very much about JAWS to get at least *some* value out
of it, and since it's one specific page that's been reported I am sure
you would get a lot from the experiment anyway.

I think you should get a copy and try it. Alternatively, I  - and others
I am sure - offer accessibility testing as a service. Since it's a quick
thing, please feel free to email me a URL and I will see if I can
reproduce the issue for you.

HTH

Cheers

Ian