[thelist] Looking for simple way to get JS statistics from myvisitors.

Christian Heilmann codepo8 at gmail.com
Sat May 21 03:12:07 CDT 2005

: Much like selling crack to school children is totally fine
: unless you tell them how to take it?

> WTF? Talk about "argument by ridiculous analogy"
>
> It's baraphobia's website. He/she can do as little, or as much as he/she
> wants (provided it's within the law). As long as he/she is making an informed
> decision, who are you to argue otherwise?

I took this very bad taste example, because it signifies the same
ignorance on the subject of accessibility and the web. You offer
without caring about the consequences.
Any time you offer some product or information it also comes with a
responsibility to make sure the receiver gets it.
If I order a book, I assume it gets delivered, and I don't expect a
message saying that they only deliver to even numbered postcodes after
I chose to buy the book. I also don't expect to see it just to be told
in checkout after 5 steps that the book is not available. If I found
great information  via a Search Engine or a link, I don't expect to
have to alter my technical environment to reach it. It is even more
frustrating if I don't even have the option to do so.

What is an informed decision in the case of the web? When you put a
web site out there you simply do not know who will use it. That is the
big advantage of the web, an unlimited audience. If you want to
restrict your audience, make your information only available to
members who have to sign in.
Who are we to decide what to give people and who to block out from the
 information?
This is what the issue at hand is about. When I open a library, I need
to make sure that disabled people can reach it.
When I offer a service on the web, I cannot dictate anything lest I am
willing to be seen (and sued) as someone who discriminates. I don't
have to cater exclusively for the worst case scenario, but I can
enhance the experience depending on what is available. Web content is
not a luxury item, that is only available to a chosen few. It is as
plain as that.

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com