[thelist] Looking for simple way to get JS statisticsfrommyvisitors.

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Sat May 21 09:34:32 CDT 2005

: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-
: bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Christian Heilmann
: Subject: Re: [thelist] Looking for simple way to get JS
: statisticsfrommyvisitors.
:
: > : If I found great information  via a Search Engine or a link,
: > : I don't expect to have to alter my technical environment to reach it.
: >
: > Who cares what you think? If you want access to someone else's
: > information, you will have to do it on their terms. They
: > do not need to bow to your conditions. You are free to seek
: > the information someplace else.
:
: Excuse me, but isn't the point of putting information on the web to
: reach people? Isn't that what it is about?

There is no singular purpose to "putting information on the web". People do
so for a multiplicity of reasons, some of which might be completely
unfathomable to you and I. You are trying to narrow this down to just one
reason, and by extension claim that everyone else has responsibilities
arising from this.

Forget this "one reason". Embrace the fact that we all use the web for
different things. If I don't want to share this information with you, or I
require you to have flash, or javascript, or have a surname beginning with
"q" to be able to view it, then that's tough. It's my information, and my
rules. You can either play by my rules, you can try and convince me to change
my mind, or you can go somewhere else.

But don't say I have a responsibility to make it available to all and sundry.
That's *never* been the case with information, and I don't see anything
intrinsic to the "web" that changes this.

Cheers
Ken

--
www.adOpenStatic.com/cs/blogs/ken