[thelist] Looking for simple way to get JS statisticsfrommyvisitors.

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Sat May 21 12:45:03 CDT 2005

Ken Schaefer wrote:
> Forget this "one reason". Embrace the fact that we all use the web for
> different things. If I don't want to share this information with you, or I
> require you to have flash, or javascript, or have a surname beginning with
> "q" to be able to view it, then that's tough. It's my information, and my
> rules. You can either play by my rules, you can try and convince me to change
> my mind, or you can go somewhere else.

Well said, Ken.

This is an odd discussion.  Christian is a strong advocate of
accessibility, and I think this discussion has gone somewhat off the
real topic of accessibility.  If a site requires javascript to use,
well, that's their choice to deny non-JS users access.  But bearing in
mind that the "law of the land" in many places does say that businesses
must make themselves accessible to those with physical disabilities, if
said JS-requiring site is denying physically-disabled people access by
that choice, then they may indeed have a responsibility to make their
site usable without JS.  Accessibility laws with regard to the web are
generally poorly-enforced (if at all), but the writing is on the wall
and it will likely just take a few more high-profile law suits (the
Ramada/Priceline in the US is a recent example).

If a site's choice to require Javascript to make it usable also makes
the site inaccessible to disabled folk (at least those in in the site
owner's own country), that site owner may be legally liable.  But of
course there's the big question as to the website's intended audience -
as Ken well summarized - and therein lies the rub from the perspective
of enforcement of the laws.  Yet, the spirit of the law in nations where
internet usage has become quite ubiquitous certainly seems to be moving
toward placing a clear legal requirement on commercial site owners to
make their sites accessible.  The "responsibility" to make a site usable
without JS enabled is only as great as the the extent that such a
requirement is an obstacle to compliance with accessibility law.  Aside
from that, it's entirely up the to the site owner - as it should be.

--
Maximillian Von Schwanekamp
http://www.neptunewebworks.com/